Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Bulldozing the Gateway

InternAfrica urges all Cityzens of the City of Cape Town to read the full M&G Article.

Between the N2 highway and the government’s flagship Gateway housing project, a double-storey shack stands all by itself. Last year Nosandiso Dyonase, who runs a shop from this house, stared down building contractors, government officials, policemen and even bulldozers when they cleared the land around her of shacks and families. A defiant Dyonase and her goats were the only ones left standing.

“Black people are scared of bulldozers because of what the previous government used to do. This government also came with bulldozers and I told them not to touch my shop. I have rights now. I have a lawyer and this is my home and my livelihood and I refuse to be moved to an electricity-less temporary home in Delft, which is far away from Cape Town,” Dyonase said.

“I told those housing people: Bring your bulldozers — I’m not scared. I built this house and this business with my own hands. I live here and I don’t support this government any more. I only support my family and it’s my right to live here because 12 years ago, when I moved here from Langa, I cleared the bushes off this land myself,” she said.

Government’s biggest and most ambitious housing project, the N2 Gateway, is facing a fresh wave of controversy after Dyonase and about 500 other families appointed their own legal representative to oppose what they call government’s “forced removals” of thousands of squatter families to make way for the project…

This week Thubelisha Homes, project managers of the Gateway project, confirmed that construction of phases two and three of this massive 22 000-unit development cannot proceed unless residents and their shacks are moved. The project is already more than a year behind schedule.

National Housing Minister Lindiwe Sisulu had promised it would be completed nine months ago, but to date only 705 units in phase one have been completed, and phases two and three have not even been started….

The N2 Gateway pilot housing project has been contentious from the outset. Apart from the R135-million budget overrun on the project, Housing Minister Lindiwe Sisulu kicked the DA-led Cape Town city council off the project last year. The ANC and the DA have accused each other of obstructing progress on the project ever since…

A senior councillor, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed that the forensic audit uncovered various instances of “unauthorised payments made to contractors of the N2 Gateway project”. The Auditor General is expected to release his report soon. – M&G

No comments: