Monday, April 21, 2008

Families fear defective homes will collapse

A number of families in Roosendal, Delft, fear for their lives and are having sleepless nights because their homes have such serious defects they could collapse at any moment.

The houses were built in the early 1990s by the apartheid-era Divisional Council.

In Ertjiebos street, one house has collapsed and has had to be rebuilt, while the foundations of another have given way, bringing down the walls of two rooms.

"It used to be a three bedroomed house, but now I have only part of the bathroom, one bedroom and the kitchen," said owner Rachel Simons.

'I've had no joy from housing officials'
"It happened in October and I have feared the worst since. My children went to live with relatives in Atlantis after we became scared the rest of the house would fall on them.

"I've had no joy from housing officials. I'm worried because the winter rains are coming and there could be more damage."

Simons obtained the house 17 years ago with a rent-to-buy agreement after paying a R135 deposit.

"It is obvious it was not built properly because the foundation cracked and later the walls came tumbling down. I'm afraid to use electricity because the wires seem damaged."

The house next to Simons's has a long, straight crack where walls join, while the foundation of another down the road is exposed and walls are cracked.

'I negotiated with the provincial authorities to rebuild a house that had collapsed'
Across the road, the home of the Brooks family has been split in half by cracks, with large gaps next to the window frames and bricks that have shifted out of position.

"The foundation is loose," owner Mervyn Brooks said.

"If one wall breaks, the rest of the house will go.

"There are small children in our family and we always worry. It is terrible to live like this."

Brooks's wife, Mathilda, said: "We reported this to the provincial department of housing, who inspected and took pictures.

"In 2007, we also asked the local councillor for help, but nothing happened. We are not getting anywhere."

Councillor for the ward Pumeleli Mgodeli (ANC) said: "Yes, I remember the lady asking me.

"I told her I should go and have a look, but was busy at the time and said she should come and see me the following day, but she never did. I will follow this up, but the owners must come and see me."

Councillor Frank Martin (DA) said Roosendal was not part of his ward, but because people approached him for help, he assisted them.

"With a lot of persistence, I negotiated with the provincial authorities to rebuild a house that had collapsed.

"People tried to speak to their councillor, but it seems they were ignored.

"I then took it upon myself to do something and deal with the province.

"One expects the government to give the people of Delft proper assistance."

The provincial housing department had not responded to questions by deadline. - Cape Times


No comments: