Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Boy electrocuted by illegal cable

A three-year-old boy has been electrocuted after he stepped on an illegal electricity cable.

Little Simamkele Mfazwe was still clutching the packet of chips he had just bought after he stepped on the live wire in Oscar Mpetha informal settlement, Nyanga.

Nolakhe Mfazwe, 41, said she was sitting with a friend on Monday afternoon when one of her neighbours came to tell her about what had happened to her son.

"I was listening to my neighbours talking about poor service delivery and lack of electricity in our area," she said.

"Then someone came to tell me Simamkele was dead.

"I rushed out and found him lying there with his mouth open. He was still holding the packet of chips and his eyes were bluish."

Nolakhe said a nearby resident Philiswa Khondyo, 37, explained that Simamkele was electrocuted after he walked on the wires that were lying on the ground.

"She said she saw a bright flash and the child fell on his back," she said.

Simamkele died on arrival at the KTC Day Hospital.

"I still can't believe that I have to go to bed without my son next to me. I can't believe he is dead," said the mother.

Nyanga police spokeswoman Ntomboxolo Sitshitshi said she was aware of the incident and cops have opened an inquest docket. - Daily Voice

No comments: