Wednesday, September 23, 2009

'I can't sleep easily peacefully at night'

Residents of a government-subsidised housing scheme in Wallacedene, Kraaifontein say they may as well be sleeping with open doors.

The keys to their homes are not unique, and in many instances residents have discovered that they can use their keys to unlock the doors of their neighbours.

Thembi Xawuka, who has been living in the "France" housing development said her house had been burgled in once and her sister, lives next to her also had been broken into.

"I've changed the lock to my front door but have discovered that other keys, used for several doors inside the house, can be used on the doors of my neighbours," said Xawuka.

She had since resorted to burglar bars inside and outside of her house to protect her property.

"Despite this I can't sleep easily peacefully at night because at the back of my mind I'm always fearful that someone might break into my house," said Xawuka. - Cape Times

No comments: