Wednesday, June 16, 2010

'I have nothing left'

More than 200 people were left homeless after a fire tore through the Mandela Park informal settlement in Hout Bay, destroying 60 homes.

Cape Town Fire Control's Paul Joseph said they received the call-out at 7.27pm on Tuesday night.

The blaze was extinguished at about 2am today.
Disaster Management's Charlotte Powell said that those affected by the fire spent the night at a local hall.

"We provided them with hot meals and blankets. The city officials are expected to go out to assess the damage. Afterwards, residents will be given rebuilding materials although we are expecting them to remain in the hall for the next three days."

As the fire raged on night, adults and children raced through the streets in Mandela Park trying to salvage some of their belongings.

Raherb Mere, 36, who lives with her two children, a 19-year-old boy and a five-year-old girl, said: "I lost my whole shack with everything in it, I have nothing left. I am very, very sad."

Mukhseli Sithole, 29, said he lost everything in the fire.

"I'm feeling very bad because I'm not working and I don't know how I'm going to get other stuff," Sithole said.

Cynthia Nesi, 34, who lives with her boyfriend and two children, said they could not get anything out of the house in time.

"I'm seriously very hurt. All we now have are the clothes we are wearing. We'll have to go to my friend to find somewhere to stay," Nesi said.

Mteteleli Mondi, 28, said that he lived alone and only found out that his house had been destroyed as he headed home from work on Monday.

"My friend called to tell me that my house had burnt down. Everything was gone when I got here and I feel very angry," Mondi said.

- Cape Argus

No comments: