Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Man dies in fire at friend's home

Days after using his annual bonus to make improvements to his humble home, a Flats cop has died in a shack fire.

Durbanville police constable Alfred Sploboko, 39, was asleep in a friend's shack next door to his home in Bloekombos, Kraaifontein, when it suddenly caught fire.

Only his wallet and cellphone survived the fire.
Alfred's brother Thabiso Sploboko, 33, says he was shocked when he heard about Alfred's death.
"He died on Friday and I only heard about his death the next day," he says.

"I don't really know what happened but I was told that he was at a friend's place when the shack started burning; he was sleeping when the fire started."

Thabiso says Alfred, a divorced father of one, used his cash bonus to improve his home.
"He put up a new shack, bought himself a new television, a bed and a new kitchen unit," he says.

Alfred's friend and colleague Benny Ndhobe, 33, says Alfred also managed to settle his debt before he died.

"I was going to see him on Saturday but when I got home late Friday evening, I received a call that something happened at his house," he says.

"When I went to his shack nothing was happening there but the neighbour's house had burned down."

Benny says he found his friend's charred body among the remains of the shack. "I couldn't even recognise him until I saw his phone lying close by," he says.

Benny says he found it strange that Alfred's phone and wallet were still in perfect condition.

"When one of the neighbours tried calling him while the shack was on fire, his phone started ringing inside the fire," he says.

Kraaifontein police Captain Gerhard Niemand says cops are investigating the cause of the fire.

- Daily Voice

No comments: