Thursday, October 9, 2014

I've already gone crazy - Nkandla project manager

Nkandla project manager Jean Rindel says the scrutiny of the two-year investigation into the Nkandla contract has impacted on him significantly, saying he’s been under a microscope for more than two years.

Rindel is one of a dozen Durban Public Works officials who are facing disciplinary processes for their role in the Nkandla scandal. His case has been postponed to December 1, 2014. 

The Department of Public Works has charged the officials with maladministration for their roles in finalising the R246-million contract for renovations of President Jacob Zuma’s homestead.

Rindel was the project manager. His disciplinary hearing began on Monday but was postponed for the department to exchange documents with his legal representatives. Rindel is being represented by the Public Servants Association (PSA) along with 11 other officials.

Speaking about the case, Rindel compared the level of scrutiny on his life to that on Paralympian Oscar Pistorius.

“I have taken strain. It is impossible to go through something like this and not take strain. Oscar Pistorius lived under a microscope for a year. I have been living under a microscope for two years,” he said.

Rindel explained that he became aware that he was being investigated in November 2012.

“I am used to people looking at me. I’ve already gone crazy,” he said.

Asked to explain what he meant, Rindel said: "I have already taken strain. It has already impacted on me.”

Meanwhile the official said he would not answer for the actions of others.

“Where I got an instruction to do XYZ and it was from a higher authority, whoever gave that instruction must give an indication of why. Whatever is in my realm, I will take responsibility for,” he said.

Rindel said he intends on pleading not guilty.

“For everything that I was charged for, I have a reasonable reason for what I did,” he said.

Rindel would not give any insights into his defence, but said he could have made small errors on the project.

“I don’t think I did very much wrong. It was a five year project, I do not claim to be without error… At that point of time, to the best of my knowledge, I did what I thought was right,” he said.

The PSA is expected to request a postponement in all the disciplinary cases, as the employees.

“In these allegations they have made reference to a number of documents or evidence that these charges are based on. We had to ask for a postponement or an adjournment based on the fact that we did not receive all the documents,” said PSA provincial manager Claude Naiker.

Each of the officials is facing around 18 charges. Department Lawyer Philip Masilo said Public Works had anticipated a postponement of all the cases, since the first day was usually used for legal teams to exchange information and agree on hearing dates. 

Meanwhile, the Special Investigating Unit has taken the project’s architect Minenhle Makhanya to court, demanding he repay R155-million earned working on the project.

The case is yet to be argued in court. 

- eNCA

No comments: