Thursday, October 2, 2014

LETTER: Nkandla MPs enlighten

I WANT to thank the members of the African National Congress (ANC), especially those from Parliament’s ad hoc committee on the Nkandla saga. It took a week for ANC members on the committee to answer questions that have troubled me for years.

I asked myself: if Adolf Hitler was so evil, why did ordinary Germans keep on supporting him? If the apartheid system was criminal, why was it kept alive by some sections of the population?

I read books on Nazism and apartheid, but still could not get answers. I kept asking what kind of people would support such cruelty? The ANC representatives on the Nkandla committee were able to clear up my confusion.

Humans are the same, irrespective of their nationality, ethnicity, gender and religion. Our moral judgment is influenced by what we stand to benefit. If silence will guarantee our safety, then we will keep quiet.

If praise singing means extra rewards, we will make sure our voices shout the loudest. We will support what is wrong as we stand to benefit.

If Jacob Zuma’s presidency ensures my job, I will protect its existence with my life. I am no different from those who supported Hitler and apartheid.

I want to remind ANC representatives on the Nkandla committee that, as long as opposition parties are not part of the process, theirs is a hollow victory. Put the country first.

Dr Lucas Ntyintyane
Cresta

No comments: